Wasaga BeachThe Beach Is Just The Beginning...
What Wasaga Beach Has To Offer
Wasaga Beach’s History
John Van Vlack, a commercial fisherman, purchased 69 acres of land near the Nottawasaga River, which was first occupied by the Algonquin Indians. John built a sawmill, ran a general store, and was the area’s first postmaster. In 1896, there were 70 people in the settlement, which was known as Van Vlack, after John. In the 1890’s, the settlement was divided into subdivisions, one of which was called Wasaga Beach. Wasaga Beach became an official town in 1974. Locally, Wasaga Beach was known as simply “The Beach”, and it still is today.
Wasaga Beach became a favourite spot for picnics and holidays for people in the surrounding communities, as far as Toronto, as cars were becoming more popular. Most businesses and hotels were built along the beachfront. This was the main transportation route during the busy Summer months.
In 1934 Wasaga Beach witnessed an event of national significance. August 8, 1934 is the date of the first successful overseas flight from Canada to England. Wasaga Beach was chosen for the departure because of its long, smooth, hard-packed sand. The name of plane was the “Trail of the Caribou”, which is commemorated by a stone cairn at the entrance of the Nancy Island Historic Site.
For information about the town of Wasaga Beach, businesses, recreation and current events, visit www.wasagabeach.com.