Clients often ask how they can improve the value of their home, even when finances are tight. One service I provide when listing a home is to walk through keeping a record of areas that that can be improved. Then we discuss which improvements will provide the most value and highest return on investment.
Here are some improvements that can add value to your home without breaking the bank:
- Touch-up blemishes and/or repaint rooms, when necessary
- Check all of the caulking on the exterior of your home
- Check the weather stripping on all doors and windows
- Make sure that the flowerbeds are neat, tidy, and well-kept
- Clean your windows and doors – this is very easy, cheap and will make a big first impression
- Reduce outdoor clutter by storing things away inside the shed or garage
- Clean out eavestroughs
- Ensure that all light bulbs are working
- Declutter the front entrance and make sure it is well-lit so folks feel at ease when they walk in the front door
- Clean and declutter countertops and remove lime and calcium buildup from sinks
- Check that caulking on countertops is in good condition
- Make sure doors and drawers are operating properly
- Replace old, out-of-date light fixtures, if possible to change the look of a room dramatically
- Confirm that hand railings are secure and safe to use
- Make sure all flooring and carpets are clean and stain free
- Clean and/or replace window coverings, as necessary, and leave them open for showings to allow natural light into your home
- De-clutter your home and consider putting excess or personal items into storage
- It is not necessary to stage your home, unless you have the money and patience to live that way
This list isn’t exhaustive but gives you an idea of minor cost-effective improvements that you can do quickly and easily. When we walk through your home together, we will go over a check list of items that can improve your home’s value. In return, your home will sell faster and for more money!
If you’re getting ready to sell, call for your Increasing Value Walk-through, today.